San Giuliano Terme
Is a delightful town in the Tuscan outback surrounded by lush nature. It is located under the slopes of the Monti Pisani chain in a favorable geographical position less than 15 minutes from Pisa and not far from Lucca. The configuration of the area fully fits all the requirements needed to have a good paragliding flight from the first to the end hours of the day. The flight is very easy and safe.
Pilots from abroad are always more than welcome in San Giuliano. We strongly believe that sharing flying experiences is a benefit for everyone.
How to reach it
The flying area is easily reachable from every part of Europe thanks to its strategic position and efficient connections. It is just a few kilometers from the Pisa “Galileo Galilei” international airport and well connected by roads and motorways. The landing can easily be reached:
- by car
- by train from both Pisa and Lucca station. The stop is at the San Giuliano Terme railway station. Once arrived at the station the landing is about 1 km (10-15 minutes on walk);
NOTAM and flying rules
As the flight area of San Giuliano Terme is located within the CTR Zone 1 of Pisa Airport it is paramount for all the pilots to play by the following rules:
- flight activity is allowed only inside of the NOTAM area;
- the NOTAM must be in “Open” status (check it at this page)
- each pilot must stay away from the Air Corridor RNAV22L. It is very close to the NOTAM, and it is an exclusive pathway for aircraft that are landing at Pisa international Airport;
- a radio on the CIM frequency is mandatory (frequencies: 433.625 MHz, LPD ch. 23; CTCSS: 146.200 Hz, subch. 23)
- once in flight, it is mandatory to comply with the general flight rules (see image) and pay special attention to student pilots;
- red smoke flares at landing and/or at take off site signal emergency traffic: you must land at once.
Flying in San Giuliano does not present technical issues and so it is suitable for pilots with little experience. Indeed, the Monti Pisani usually offer both a thermal and a dynamic flight. In the afternoon, a constant breeze usually flows from the sea quadrants allowing a nice and easy flight over the hill slopes for all pilots.
In the summer thermal activity starts from 11 in the morning, while in the evening a breeze from the sea allows you to stay airborne until sunset. During the winter season it would be better to fly in the central hours of the day.
Cross-country flights are allowed up to the Ripafratta hill, located at the northern end of the NOTAM area. The flying area offers several fields that can be used as emergency landing. Please stay out of the crop fields and, in case of an off-field landing, move away as quickly as possible without causing damages.
Before reaching takeoff, please contact the members of our association to have all the information and carry out the flight in the utmost serenity.
Foreign flying schools
The CIM does not deal directly with student pilots or foreign flight schools, so before carrying out flight teaching activities in San Giuliano it is necessary to contact the local flight school. For any further information, please get in touch with us.